Stick to Your Weight Loss Resolutions



Have you make weight loss resolutions today? I have. My resolution is to maintain my weight loss from last year.

Now, hands up how many of you have made weight loss resolutions in the past and ended up gaining weight. I’ll put my hand up because I have. It was only last year that I made a resolution that I stuck to.

Why? Because I finally put a plan in place to make sure I did lose weight.

Making New Year’s resolutions is the easy part. Sticking to them is the hardest. But with some planning and strategizing you will get there. Here are a few tips to stick to those weight loss resolutions and see a lighter, healthier and happier you in 2015.

Make Your Weight Loss Resolutions Detailed

Who decided their resolution was simply to lose weight? You don’t care how much you lose, but you just want to shed some of those pounds. That’s a common one but it’s not making it easy for you to stick to.

If you lose just a pound you’ve met your resolution, but that doesn’t mean you’re happy or that it’s what you meant. You need to set a detailed resolution. How much weight do you want to lose by the end of the year? Do you just want a drop a few dress sizes instead of setting an exact figure?

You may not know exactly how much weight you want to lose, but you may have a general idea. Is there a photo that reminds you of the weight you want to be? Maybe you have health goals that you want to reach. Whatever they are, having a detail resolution is the best place to start.

Set Small and Realistic Goals

Now, that big weight loss goal is going to seem hard. You may look at it thinking it’s simply not possible. Well, this is where this next step comes in.

It’s time to split that big weight loss resolution into smaller and more realistic goals. Last year I choose to split the goals into every seven pounds (half a stone), and between them I had goals like my 5%, 10% and a healthy BMI. It gave me something to celebrate every few weeks, which kept me motivated to keep going until I reached my final goal just before Christmas.

However, make sure your goals are realistic. You’re not going to lose 10lbs every week. It’s not healthy and it’s not possible to keep it off in the long run. Aim for a 1-2lb weight loss on average each week. Some weeks it’s going to be 1/2lb and others weeks it may be 3-4lb, that’s fine as long as it averages out over time.

Make a Plan

Plan ahead to see your weight loss resolution through to the end. There are different types of plans that you can create, including a meal plan and an exercise plan.

Of course, you need to stick to it once you do create it! It’s really easy to look at it one day and not feel like sticking to it. That just makes it easier to give in the next day and the day after. Be strict with yourself. Remember this is more than just sticking to a resolution. It’s about getting to a thinner, healthier and happier you.

Hopefully, those three tips will help you stick to your weight loss resolutions. Along the way, you may find something else that helps you.

Here are a few tips from last year to help you lose weight this year.

By the way, not sure if I'm just talking rubbish? Here's my before and after photo to show that Weight Watchers does work:
After losing weight. December 2013

 
Before Losing Weight. September 2012
 

Did you find anything that helped you stick to your weight loss resolutions last year? Why not share your tips for others below. If you failed to stick to them last year, share your thoughts and feelings if you want.

Image credit: Alan Cleaver

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problems with Crash Diets

100 Day Challenge Day 28: Staying In Control on a Busy Day

Halloween Party Ideas to Lose Weight