Why You Shouldn’t Bother Giving Into Cravings



We all get cravings throughout the day. Every now and then, giving into them isn’t a problem. But if you consistently do it, you’re going to make it harder to lose weight. Rather than give into your cravings, you can plan ahead and add treats into your week. It’s really not that difficult at all.
Here are four reasons why you shouldn’t bother giving into cravings.

They Make You Feel Sluggish

Most of the time, your cravings are going to be sweet treats. I usually find around 3pm that I crave something chocolaty. My body doesn’t need it, but my mind thinks it does.

Even if I have it, I end up feeling sluggish afterwards. That’s because of the instant sugar rush and then the sudden burning of energy. I’m not actually taking care of the reason behind the craving in the first place; either the trigger or the issue of just not eating enough of the right things throughout the day.

When you feel sluggish, other cravings will kick in. You’ll want more sugary treats and that leads to more calories used. You end up gaining more weight.

Do you really want that?

They’re Just Not Good for You

Did anyone else see Jamie Oliver’s Sugar Rush on Channel 4 the other week? I had to watch it on catch-up, but I still made sure I did catch it. I’m glad I did, because it told me things that I couldn’t believe.

Your cravings—especially those sweet ones—really aren’t good for you. They’re not good for your waistline and they’re not good for your health overall. I’m not going to demonise sugar because all food groups have their place, but I’m going to demonise too much of it. Remember when I said the other week about eating everything in moderation?

If you don’t bother giving into cravings and replace them with healthier options, you reduce the risk of a number of health problems. You reduce the risk of diabetes for a start, which affects millions of people and is among the reasons for 7,000 people having legs amputated on a yearly basis. That’s 130 people per week!

Is that something you really want to risk?

You Can Keep Them as a Treat

Do you remember when sweeties were only allowed once a week? I do! I would be allowed them on a Saturday afternoon, and only my Nanna would buy them for me.

Once upon a time, these cravings we get weren’t satisfied right away. We had to keep them as treats during the week. It actually made them more satisfying, too! I looked forward to my weekend sweeties, and savoured them when I got them.

Wouldn’t you love to enjoy yours more?

It Doesn’t Mean You Give Them Up

When I say don’t bother giving into cravings, I don’t mean don’t give yourself the treat now and then. Giving them up completely isn’t going to be good for your mindset. If you tell yourself you’re not allowed something at all, how much more do you want it?

This is really about eating in moderation (yes, there’s that word again) and having them as treats. You get to lose more weight, because you’re taking control of your food and your lifestyle. You’re saying yes now and then, but focusing on a healthier diet overall.

Doesn’t that sound great?

So, stop giving into your cravings on a daily basis. It’s time to take a step back and focus on a healthier lifestyle. It really will help you in the long run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Problems with Crash Diets

100 Day Challenge Day 28: Staying In Control on a Busy Day

Halloween Party Ideas to Lose Weight